Kool & the Gang are true legends, whose music has influenced at least three generations.
Thanks to iconic songs like Celebration, Cherish, Jungle Boogie, Summer Madness and Open Sesame, they’ve earned two Grammy Awards, seven American Music Awards, 25 Top Ten R&B hits, nine Top Ten Pop hits and 31 gold and platinum albums.
From Nairobi to Newark, Kool & the Gang has performed continuously longer than any R&B group in history and their bulletproof funk and jazzy arrangements have also made them the most sampled R&B band of all time. A reviewer recently called their performance “a 24-karat show” and every year, even after a half-century on the road, yields a non-stop schedule of shows across the globe.
The heavily-in-demand band has continued to tour the world, appearing most recently alongside Kid Rock, Dave Matthews Band, Elton John and The Roots and performing on a recent, 50-city tour with rock legends Van Halen.
Kool & the Gang recently celebrated their 50th Anniversary. Here are a few ways they celebrated the milestone:
- Induction into the New Jersey Hall of Fame.
- In a touching tribute, a street they grew up on in Jersey City has been renamed in their honor: “Kool & the Gang Way.”
- “Celebration” was inducted into the Grammy Hall Of Fame
- Kool’s bass is displayed at the new Smithsonian Institution National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, DC
- Artifacts from the band’s archive have recently gone on display, next to Count Basie, at the newly- opened Grammy Museum Experience in Newark, NJ
Ronald Bell, Robert Bell and George Brown were inducted into the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame
Kool & the Gang continues to delight fans around the globe with their timeless hits and amazing live performances.