Beyond the realm of every day, lies our world within a world. Hundreds of actors and creative spirits guide you beneath the surface, to discover secrets and stories beyond your most adventurous dreams...
A massive thank you to everyone who helped raise a massive £116,000 for charity.
It was a record-breaking year both for the phenomenal amount raised, but also for the sheer amount of amazing orgainsiations we were able to team up with; over 1,600 national, global and local companies getting involved or receiving a donation.
The biggest thanks to all you super generous folks who donated £2 on top of your ticket price, the £8,702 raised all went directly to our main charity partner for this year, Street Reach. A Winchester based charity working directly with vulnerable and disadvantaged youth. Thank you, thank you, thank you... this money really will make a massive difference:
“We are absolutely thrilled by the amount that was raised by Boomtown and we would like to thank everyone that made a donation to Street Reach. Through our partnership with Boomtown we involved young people working with us in their drop in arts workshops and we were able to take a group of young people on a unique and inspiring back stage tour of the festival. The donation will enable us to continue supporting young people in need and those experiencing disadvantage through our outreach work across Winchester.”
Ben Martin, Project Manager at Street Reach.
Other Local Support:
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance will receive a donation of £8,148 to support their vital services in the area through the long-standing stewarding partnership.
- The Rose Road Association, based in Southampton raised £1,020.72 to ensure disability is not a barrier.
- Guestlist donations collected at the entrance gates were supplemented by Boomtown to raise £10,000 for the five parishes that border the festival site.
Locally activities at the Fair this year included the first ever Local Farmers' Market, the South Downs National Park Trust running one of the forest school sessions in Kidztown, teaching everyone about local wildlife!
In the lead up to Chapter 9, we worked with a few different outreach projects in the Winchester area including; Naomi’s House, Trinity Winchester, and Cheriton Primary School, hosting interactive carnival music, theatre and costume making workshops to be used in the Kidztown Carnival!
National and Global Support:
In addition to the money raised for local specific charities, a phenomenal £84,302.50 was raised for national and international charities, with £49,009 raised through the Oxfam Stewarding Partnership and £13,000 through their onsite Mayfair shop.
My Cause, a multi-charity stewarding organisation, collected just over £10,000 for a over 1,600 different charitable organisations, picked by the volunteers themselves.
Other charities at the festival this year included:
- Greenpeace had a stall in Whistlers Green area to raise awareness for their global projects raised £5,500
- TEMWA, (Malawi Charity) ran the festival’s onsite Lost and Found and information stands raising £5,000
- Love Specs had a stall and workshop and raised £1,540 to help projects and communities in Malawi
- Energy Revolution - collaborative festival venture to minimise the carbon footprint of festivals raised £927.50 via ticket donations
- The Purple Community Fund On site stall in Whistlers Green raised £866 to help the Philippines break the cycle of poverty through education, welfare and livelihood programs
- The Samaritans were on site and provided a safe place for anyone who wanted to talk helping them to forge their own path
- Long Live South Bank were fundraising to restore sections of the legendary skateboarding spot - the Southbank Undercroft
- Safe Gigs for Women were on the ground providing support to women who face gender equality issues with interactive workshops and support.
Now that Chapter 9's closed, we're on the the lookout for a new local charity partner for 2018! If any Winchester or Hampshire based charities would like to apply, or residents who would like to make a suggestion please contact email@example.com.